contact me

Sunday, February 8, 2015

Blog Post 4: What questions do we ask? How do we ask questions?

I believe the most important part of questions is thoroughly thinking about them before asking or making them. This is half the battle alone. As a student we are told that there are no such tings as stupid questions. As a student we don't believe this, but as teachers this is definitely true. In Ben Johnson's "The Right Way to Ask Questions." when he asks have we ever thought how silly a teacher could be. As a student we never really question a teacher's seriousness. He says as a teacher stands in front of so many different students acting like we know everything then go back and asks the students questions kind of contradicts that belief. In "Asking Questions to Improve learning Questioning styles and Strategies" I took away that it is important to not only think about the question you are about to ask but also wait until the speaker is done because you might be asking a question that is about to be answered just shortly. In Joanne Chelsey's YouTube video she talks about open and closed-ended questions. Chelsey says that close-ended questions are structured so that the answer can be yes or no, as where open-ended questions have to have a more in depth answer and usually requires some explanation.

2 comments:

  1. I find that really thinking questions through is an important part as well. I know it is not possible, but when I was younger I felt like teachers knew everything. I now know that this is false, because I am going through the transition from student to teacher. I like how you added this and some of the other resources, to back up each and every claim.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember that blog posts are required to have working links, and your picture should have alt and title modifiers!

    ReplyDelete