contact me

Sunday, January 25, 2015

Blog Post 2: What will teaching be like in the 21st century?

In the first video Professor Dancealot did quite a few things that caught me off guard especially if I was a student in his class. As a teacher the first thing that should have been done is to make sure that all students know what is about to happen, some probably were not expecting him to jump right into demonstrating each dance move, as well as letting the students pair up and practice together. But i do agree that it is crucial to be well organized in class.
After watching Teaching in the 21st Century I feel like Robert is really pushing that each student wants to learn at his or her own pace and should be up to date with the newest technology that is available to use. He also feels that technology is a better way for students to learn as well as study, because technology now can be more interactive then the actual teacher. I also think that as an instructor i shouldn't try to fool anyone out there i don't know everything, and the internet will have more sources and information then i could give.
After watching "The Network Student" I found it really interesting that the teacher somewhat let the child learn at his own pace. Now the student did require some guidance but did most of his learning on his own with technology. I believe that this is the direction that teaching is going as a profession. Where instructors will be more of an adviser rather than an instructor.
After watching " Harness Your Digital Smarts", I once again see that technology is taking over the classroom. This video was very informative especially when it showed how students worked together with their technology, I honestly didn't know that different forms of technology could be used together. Group activities in a class room not only helps the students socialize with each other as well as prepare them for what they are going to do the rest of their lives by working with people
After watching "Flipping the Classroom" I really like the video. This is a great idea by preparing students before class that way they are prepared and know what to expect so nothing surprises them. I also like how the videos can be accessed multiple times, I still have trouble picking up on things the first time I am told or view something. Another great feature is that the students can ask questions which is also very crucial.
After reading coaching in the classroom, I can agree that there are certain aspects of a locker room that can be incorporated into the classroom. The players use film to predict what their opponent will do on the field, and children can do the same in the classroom to predict what will happen next. I also agree that teachers can learn from coaches, in the fact that as a coach we can teach students in a different manner the teachers teach in a class room.

2 comments:

  1. Mr. Reed
    I like your prospective on how coaching in a locker room and teaching in a classroom coincide with predictions. Getting kids to voice their opinions is difficult and being vocal as a coach could in fact inspire a shy child to speak up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Reed,
    I find it so interesting that you are also a high school football coach! Just as discussed in the last article, you are going to be able to bring new strategies and a new approach to problem solving to your classroom. This will allow you to have a classroom that involves learning as a team effort, instead of students competing for their turn to "shine" in the classroom.
    When I watched the "Flipping the Classroom", I had the same reaction as you. I think that it is great to be able to have access to a video of my teacher explaining concepts outside of the classroom, especially so I can go back and watch, re-watch, and fully be able to grasp the concept of the lesson. This would also give students time to do independent browsing of the lesson before the assignment in class. I personally think this is an all around great setup for classroom success. I would have really liked to see your outline on Roberts's "Teaching in the 21st Century". Other than that, I enjoyed your post and your perspective.

    ReplyDelete